What you can claim
Compensation for power cuts in normal weather
Network operators have 24 hours to reconnect your power if more than 5,000 homes are affected by a single problem. If you are without power for 12 hours or more, you can claim:
- £90 as a domestic customer
- £150 as a non-domestic customer.
- You can get a further £40 for each additional 6 hours of being without power with category 1 storms and 48 hours for category 2 storms, up to a total of £300.
If you are cut off more than four times in a year for at least three hours each time, you can claim an extra £90 as a domestic or non-domestic customer.
The year runs from 1 April to 31 March.
Compensation for power cuts in severe weather
When you can claim depends on how Ofgem categorise storms in severe weather.
Further information is available on Ofgem's website.
How to claim compensation for a power cut
You need to make compensation claims for supply issues to you network operator within:
Citizens Advice and Advice Direct Scotland can help if you need support.
- Call on 0808 223 1133 or use their online webchat.
- For textphone, dial 18001 followed by the helpline number.
Advice Direct Scotland
Network operators are regulated by Ofgem. Ofgem sets service standards network operators must meet. These include rules on how quickly operators must restore supply in normal and severe weather conditions, and compensation consumers get if standards aren’t met. There's more information about compensation available on Ofgem's website.